Choosing Assertiveness Over Arrogance
In our various roles in daily life, we need to exercise influence on people, so that we achieve desirable results. We all begin asserting ourselves humbly, but at times we find ourselves becoming pushy or arrogant.
1. Assertive communication is a skill you can master with practice. Think clearly and speak humbly. Choose fewer and right words to state your opinion, needs or feelings. Be confident and respectful. Focus on achieving the goal rather than winning the conversation.
2. Remember that you are speaking to a pure being. The other person may resist, oppose, or question your views. They may even be rude. Have compassion for their behaviors. Be your loveful self and listen patiently.
3. Detach from your point of view to see their perspective. Identify their concerns and address them. When they feel valued, they respect your point of view and become more receptive.
4. Once everyone is in agreement, calmly communicate responsibilities, set timelines, establish rules and discipline people with dignity.
5. Do not compromise on your values. Stand by them firmly, without fearing consequences.
By choosing assertiveness over arrogance, people will be comfortable being with you and working with you. They will respect you because you respect them for who they are.