Happiness is in You

Nowadays, people are not happy with what they have or what they are because they are worried about the praise and attention of others. What is interesting is, we want to be happy to show others how happy we are... we don't want to be happy for ourselves.

It is a bitter truth of our society that we are focused on others than ourselves. All our so-called definitions of success, happiness, greatness etc. are defined by how much we are praised and appreciated by others.

Our self-image depends on how others treat us. So we fake a smile easily if someone is watching us. We dress, not to be comfortable or be confident with our body but to look beautiful in other’s eyes. Our vacations have become a way to increase followers on Instagram/Facebook rather than enjoying time with ourself, family or nature.

It’s like beggar ‘A’ seeking advice from beggar ‘B’ and then deciding if he can be happy.

The founding father of Brahma Kumaris used to say: ‘Ek bhikhari dusre bhikhari ko sahukar nahi bana sakta’. (A beggar cannot make other beggar rich)

We should understand that we all are different. Everyone has different ways that touch their souls and make them happy. For example, I always enjoyed watching cartoon network but my sister always enjoyed playing with dolls. That does not mean I cannot be happy while watching those funny cartoons because my sister doesn’t like that and vice-versa.

As they say, there should not be a ‘because’ after happiness. If we keep searching for reasons to be happy, that very search will not allow us to be happy. And when that reason is others, we can’t taste even a single moment of true happiness.

Be something for yourself to enjoy yourself, not to show off yourself. You are not a showroom!

Spend some time with yourself, have some solitude time to know more of you and understand what makes you truly happy. Not just comfortable but real joy and satisfaction. Most of us are actually running for comforts thinking that it is the same as happiness. It’s not like we don’t understand the difference between both, we just need to take a pause from this running and try to see what we truly seek.

A flower blooms not for others, but because it is a flower. Be like a flower… be happy…

We would love to hear what makes you happy, how meditation helped you or any topic you want us to explore, do share in comments below.

Comments (21)

1. Avatar
    Dhara     September 21, 2018 at 7:46pm

Very nice article

2. Avatar
    Krishan Gupta     September 29, 2018 at 5:38am

Eye opener. True that we never see our-self and try to convince and satisfy others that we are happy. Never talk to myself and not know how to talk myself

3. Avatar
    Deepti     October 2, 2018 at 8:53am

Beautiful Article. Meditation has helped me become much more stronger. Can you please also discuss, how to decide, what power to use and when.

• Rohit Verma
      Rohit Verma     October 2, 2018 at 3:42pm

Thanks Deepti for your feedback. As your second question was personal we are not publishing it here, however we will try to discuss it over emails

Nitesh Desai     December 5, 2018 at 8:17pm

Dear Rohit it’s wonderful article.
        I need some more guidance from you. It’s a personal.

4. Avatar
    Piyush     October 3, 2018 at 11:03am

Nice article….
    touched upon practical aspect of life.

5. Avatar
    Sushobhan     October 4, 2018 at 5:40am

Excellent article. We need to take a pause from rat race and retrospect our inner self for what we really need. The bottom line is very true. The source of your happiness can not be any other person or any external entity or circumstances; you must create it for yourself. Other people will accompany you spontaneously to get a share of your happiness. If you try to extract your happiness from others, the relationship will turn into sour eventually. Please write more articles for the world of sufferers.

6. Avatar
    Amarrtya Jana     October 6, 2018 at 12:29am

Nice article. Great start Rohit. Will be waiting for more.

7. Avatar
    Mrs.Swati Kohli     October 8, 2018 at 11:27pm

Really good ,we must spend some time to understand ourself .it is very important in today’s scenario.

8. Avatar
    Dillip     October 13, 2018 at 9:42am

It is true.

9. Avatar
    Kanchan shejul     November 15, 2018 at 10:10pm

So nice thoughts
    I really needed to more inspirative thought
    I will do happy & successful person..

10. Avatar
    Anuradha     November 28, 2018 at 7:59pm

It’s very helpful for women empowerment

11. Avatar
    Vijai Kumar     December 21, 2018 at 9:00am

Your brief article is an eye opener ,brevity and simplicity is apparent. I have been reading lot of literature on meditation including Giovanni Dienstmann’s Practical Meditation, which describes essence of various types of meditation practiced in world today. I am very keen to learn meditation , can you guide ?
    I am a medical doctor based in UP

• Rohit Verma
      Rohit Verma     December 25, 2018 at 5:44pm

Thanks Vijai, glad you like the article. I’ll contact you over email.

12. Avatar
    Mahesh Kalyankar     January 8, 2019 at 2:40pm

Nyc One 🙂

13. Avatar
    Ashish     January 18, 2019 at 9:39am

Very beautiful and heart touching lines to motivate one for being happy in life.

14. Avatar
    Pankaj Kumar     February 2, 2019 at 5:23pm

It’s actually true … Very nice…

15. Avatar
    Ragini     March 6, 2019 at 3:52pm

Beautiful article and so true

16. Avatar
    Roshni Sen     March 14, 2019 at 7:47am

I am a teacher. For the past 7 to 8 months l have been passing through a very uncertain phase in my life. I started listening to the different YouTube talks on the topics of developing a emotional strength and negotiate with negative feelings to turn them to positivity. I have beniffited very much from them. This article is also very good. I wish to read more on the topics relating to creating of inner happiness and joy. Thank you Brahmakumaris.

17. Avatar
    Prashant Vikram Singh     March 22, 2019 at 10:57am

Nice article… by the way i have a little confusion that.. when i have to Face the situation & when i have to adjust in the situation?? What facing the situations really means?? Plzz help

• Rohit Verma
      Rohit Verma     March 23, 2019 at 3:13pm

Thanks Prashant!
      I have tried to answer here: facing situations

Write a Comment